Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Our Armstrong Family Tree























Here I have posted an image of the Armstrong family tree. How it came into Mimi's possession, I do not know, but we have extensive evidence of her correspondence with other relatives as she tried to locate information about various branches of her family. Recently, I discovered that an Armstrong descendant has been researching the family for years. We got in touch, and Julian Armstrong, who lives in England, told me that several Armstrong brothers emigrated from Ireland in the late-1700s, one of which was Tom's and Linda's ancestor, James Armstrong. The eldest of the brothers, John, remained in Ireland, and then his descendants moved to England in 1922. Julian Armstrong provided me with this information:
Baker White Armstrong, Sr.’s father Edward McCarty Armstrong (1816-1890) married 2nd  Louisa Tapscott White (1836-1887) – both mentioned in one of your newspaper cuttings -  on 23rd October, 1856.  His father William Armstrong (1782-1865) was a Lawyer, JP, Congressman and in retirement a Taverner.  He left Ireland for the States in 1792.  He was the son of James Armstrong (1760-1795) who emigrated from Ireland to the States in 1790 and was one of the original four brothers to do so – the others being William (1757-1824); Robert (1766-c1828); and David (1768-1838) who was the last to come over in September 1815 aboard the “Westpoint”.  I am descended from their eldest brother John (1754-1837) who remained in Ireland.  John was my great great great grandfather.
How exciting to locate a distant relative with this information! I will be providing more information about William Armstrong in another post.

3 comments:

  1. Hello. My family has had this tree hanging in our house for as long as I can remember. I knew the "Armstong" name but nothing more. I recently inherited the tree when my mom downsized to move to a new home. I finally studied it for the first time. I Googled Ed. McCarty Armstrong and found your site. How interesting! I am part of the Jones branch which starts with my great grandparents, Anne Elizabeth Stribling (grand daughter of E.M.Armstrong) and Dr. Claiborne Jones. Dr. Jones had 5 boys, including my great uncle Claiborne who is listed on the tree. I wonder if the "Mimi" you reference above is my cousin Mimi Beckwith? Looking forward to learning more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have a copy of the Armstrong family crest, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, David, The "Mimi" in these entries refer to my husband's great aunt, Mary "Mimi" Ophelia Nugent Armstrong, who was the daughter of Baker White Armstrong, Sr., and Mary Ophelia Nugent. Baker White Armstrong, Sr. was the oldest son from Edward McCarty Armstrong's second marriage to Louisa Tapscott White. The Stribling branch starts with the sister of Baker White Armstrong, Sr, Janie, who married a Stribling.

    ReplyDelete